Light relief at Lysterfield blackspot

IT was described in 2006 by a state minister as the "most hair-raising intersection you could ever imagine", but it has taken nearly four years for traffic lights to be turned on at a Lysterfield blackspot.
The lights at the intersection of Lysterfield and Wellington roads had been in place for more than a month but it was not until Thursday night that they were finally switched on.

During the state election campaign in November 2006, then roads minister Peter Batchelor called it a hair-raising intersection and pledged $1.3 million for the project.

The project was hit by delays and ended up costing more than $2.5 million.

Resident Barry Harris said the intersection had been too dangerous to use. "It's taken a while, but they eventually got there. I'm happy the lights are there."

Ferntree Gully Liberal MP Nick Wakeling said he was disappointed with the delays. "You can build freeways in four years, and it's been double the price."

Monbulk Liberal candidate Matt Mills said it was well past time the notorious intersection was made safe for drivers.

Gembrook Labor MP Tammy Lobato said there were 10 casualty crashes at the intersection, three resulting in serious injuries, in the five years to December 31, 2009.

Asked by the Weekly about the delays in the project, VicRoads did not respond by deadline.

Regional director Duncan Elliott has previously said the delays were due to the time required to meet conditions on the removal of native vegetation.

Source: Knox Journal